Child Sexual Abuse Information/Forensic Interviews
Children's Alliance Center:
The Children's Alliance Center of Berks County is a service of Opportunity House that serves child victims of sexual abuse under the age of 18. The CAC strives to reduce the child's trauma by providing a unique multi-disciplinary response to child abuse. We enable law enforcement, prosecutors, child protective services, victim advocacy agencies and the medical and mental health professions to work together as a collaborative team to investigate and prosecute cases. Children are interviewed once, and various agencies observe the interview simultaneously to reduce the number of interviews and the amount of emotional stress. This model provides for more successful prosecutions while providing a child-friendly environment. Since opening in July 2004, we have helped thousands of children through our services. The CAC is an accredited member of the National Children’s Alliance, located in Washington, DC. The following program components are necessary for accredited membership in the National Children’s Alliance:
- Multidisciplinary Team
- Cultural Competency and Diversity
- Forensic Interviews
- Victim Support and Advocacy
- Medical Evaluation
- Mental Health
- Case Review
- Case Tracking
- Organizational Capacity
- Child-Focused Setting
What to Talk About: It is important to talk to young children about safety without overwhelming or scaring them. These discussion guides offer age appropriate messages and strategies to help you start conversations about personal and online safety.
- Click Here for a Discussion Guide for children Ages 5 to 8.
- Click Here for a Discussion Guide for children Ages 9 to 12.
- Click Here for a Discussion Guide for children Ages 13 to 17.
Did You Know:
- Every year, the Children's Alliance Center of Berks County conducts approximately 400 forensic interviews.
- The greatest risk comes from friends and family, not strangers.
- Experts estimate that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before their 18th birthdays.
- Symptoms of sexual abuse can include physical and behavioral signs, but behavioral signs are more common.
Melissa Haydt, VP of The Children's Alliance Center
610-898-0535 ext. 1
Locate The Children's Alliance Center
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Children's Alliance Center.
To report suspected child abuse, please call ChildLine at: 1-800-932-0313